Complaints Process

Did you find what you were looking for?

If for any reason, you or someone you know has concerns about an audiologist or speech-language pathologist’s practice or behaviour, you have the right to make a complaint to CASLPO. Complaints, in either a written or recorded format, can be made against CASLPO audiologists and speech-language pathologists.

To file a complaint, please send your complaint to:

175 Bloor Street East, North Tower, Suite 601
Toronto  ON  M4W 3R8

Email: [email protected]  |  Fax: 416-975-8394

CASLPO makes sure that complaints are handled in a safe and sensitive way.

Sexual Abuse Prevention Program   Funding For Therapy Application

French | Italian | Spanish | Punjabi | T-Chinese | S-Chinese

The Complaint Process

You File a Complaint

Anyone has the right to complain to CASLPO about its audiology and speech-language pathology registrants. There is no time limitation for filing a complaint with the CASLPO.

You can also talk to the Director of Professional Conduct and/or the Registrar because 

  • You might want to discuss an issue and get more information.
  • You are unsure about making a complaint about  an audiology and/or a speech-language pathology registrant. 

In your complaint you can include:

  • the name of the audiology and/or a speech-language pathology registrant
  • details of the events and concerns
  • dates and locations
  • names of witnesses
  • copies of any relevant communication

Complaints against the audiologist or speech-language pathologist must be written or recordedWe can help you with this.

We Confirm Receipt

Once your compliant is received, College staff will respond to you in writing within 14 days.

You Can Opt For An Informal Resolution
(known as Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR))

If appropriate, complaints may be settled through our voluntary and con­fidential Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process; which is an alternative to the formal complaint process.
Learn more about the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process.
If you need information on the ADR process, please contact the College directly.

We Investigate
  • Your complaint will be sent to the registrant within 14 days. The registrant may respond to the complaint within 30 days. 
  • The College may contact you for further comment.
  • CASLPO has an Inquiries, Complaints, and Reports Committee (ICRC). The role of this committee is to review complaints.
  • The ICRC has two panels. One panel reviews complaints about audiology registrants and the other reviews complaints about speech-language pathology registrants.
  • Each panel must include both public and professional members. 
  • The panel may ask for an investigation. An investigation may include looking at patient records and/or interviewing people or witnesses.
  • The panel may ask for an expert opinion. 
  • The panel will review all of the information and decide what to do. 
We Make A Decision

The panel can make any of the following decisions about the audiology or speech-language pathology registrant:

  • Registrant may be referred to CASLPO’s Discipline Committee. 
  • Registrant may be referred to another panel of the ICRC for further investigation if it appears that they are incapacitated. “Incapacity” means that the registrant is suffering from a physical or mental health condition that interferes with their ability to practice safely. 
  • Registrant may be required to appear before a panel to be cautioned.
  • Registrant may be required to complete a Specified Continuing Education or Remediation Program.  This is a program to help the registrant improve upon an area of practice.
  • Finally, the panel may decide that no further action against the registrant is required.

However, the panel has no authority to direct refunds or monies be paid to you

The panel will write to both you and the registrant to provide their decision, with reasons for their decision.

Appealing the Decision

You or the audiologist or speech language pathologist may request a review by the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board if either is unhappy with the panel’s decision.

This Board is not a part of the College.  Note: the term “member” and “registrant” are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO’s website and documents. Both terms are synonymous to “member” as defined in the  Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991 , and the Regulations under those Acts.

Questions? We’re here to help.  

Email us at [email protected]

Common Complaint FAQs

English PDF | French PDF

Who can make a complaint to the College?

Anyone can make a complaint against an audiologist or speech-language pathologist (also referred to as a registrant of the College). This includes patients, family friends, caregivers, work colleagues, the public, employers, insurers and other healthcare professionals. The College considers all complaints received regardless of the source.

What kind of complaints can the College investigate?

Many complaints are investigated, such as:

  • communication issues;
  • fees and billing;
  • standard of care;
  • appropriateness of services;
  • supervision of support personnel such as Communication Disorder Assistants and students;
  • advertising;
  • boundaries and sexual abuse;
  • confidentiality; and
  • disclosure of information.

The College has a duty to protect the public interest. The College must ensure that its registrants practice their profession within a governing legal and regulatory framework which establishes the College's requirements. If you are not sure whether your complaint is covered, you can contact the College for further information.

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint to the College in writing or through a recordable medium such as audio or
video tape. You can send your complaint by surface mail, fax or e-mail to the College.

Can I make a complaint over the phone?

The College cannot accept a complaint by telephone. However, complaints in writing, recording, or mail are accepted.

Can I file a complaint without giving my name?

No. If you intend to make a complaint, you must identify yourself to enable the complaint to proceed.

Can I file a complaint against a registrant's employer?

No. The College regulates registrants and not where they work. However, if the employer is a registrant, the College may be able to investigate their practice.

Can I file a complaint against someone who provides audiology or speech-language pathology services but is not a registrant of the College?

The College will investigate if you have concerns about services provided under the supervision of a registrant, such as services provided by a Communication Disorder Assistant (CDA) supervised by a registrant. Such services are the supervising responsibility of the registrant. The College's investigation will focus on the registrant and not CDA who provided the services.

Is there a time limit to make a complaint?

No. However, you are advised to make your complaint as soon as possible after the occurrence of the event. As time goes by, it may be difficult to remember what happened, which may make it more difficult for you to provide accurate details. In this way, the College can also address any issues that may include a risk to other patients.

What happens after I file a complaint?
Can I attend the Inquiries Complaints and Reports Committee (ICRC) meeting?

No. This meeting is not open to the public nor will the ICRC meet with you or the registrant. The ICRC reviews all information collected in paper or electronic files. Staff will advise you of the ICRC's decision.

Can I withdraw a complaint?

You can make a written request to withdraw your complaint any time. However, if the issues raised in your complaint are serious and likely to put the public at risk, the College can decide to continue investigating the complaint even if you do not take part.

Can I use the ICRC decision in a court proceeding?

No. Section 36(3) of the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 does not permit information from a College proceeding to be used in a civil court.

What if I do not want to become involved in the Complaints process?

You do not have to be involved in the College's investigation. Once you have filed the complaint, the College will conduct a full investigation of the complaint and provide you with a copy of the ICRC's decision. If you make a report, your participation will be limited to being interviewed by the investigator, if the College decides to make inquiries based on your concerns.

Can I have the complaint resolved without using the Complaints process?

In some cases, the College may be able to offer a way to resolve your complaint instead of using the Complaints process. This can be done through the College's informal resolution process known as the Alternative Dispute Resolution process where a mediator will work with you and the registrant in a way to create solutions that suits both parties. The informal resolution process is confidential and if agreement is reached and approved by the College, the matter is considered resolved.

For more information, please see Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) . You can also contact the College to get additional information about this process.


What happens if the College cannot investigate the complaint?

The College will try to refer you to another regulatory body or organization who may be able to help you.

Is the investigation of a complaint made public?

No. The College has a strict duty regarding confidentiality and will not share the information regarding the complaint, including your name and the name of the registrant, except with the ICRC. However, the matter may become public if it is referred to the Discipline Committee. In such cases, the Discipline Committee can ban the publication of any information that may identify you.
The College is required to post specific information on CASLPO's public register regarding the registrant, based on the ICRC's decision. This can include the following notations:

  • any undertaking;
  • verbal warning;
  • further education;
  • referral of specified allegations to the Discipline Committee;
  • the result of every Discipline proceeding;
  • the result of every Fitness to Practice proceeding;
  • information about a registrant's criminal charges or convictions; and
  • information about an interim order that may be in effect.
What kind of decisions can the ICRC make about a complaint?

The audiologist or speech-language pathologist may be:

  • provided with advice or reminders regarding their professional obligations;
  • required to appear before a panel for a verbal warning;
  • required to complete further education to help the registrant improve in an area of practice;
  • referred to the College's Discipline Committee;
  • referred to another panel of the ICRC for further investigation if it appears that they are incapacitated. "Incapacity" means that the registrant is suffering from a physical or mental health condition that interferes with their ability to practice safely.

The ICRC may also decide that no further action against the audiologist or speech-language pathologist is required.

What kind of decisions cannot be made about a complaint?
  • Award complainants any monetary compensation or require the registrant to refund fees.
  • Require the registrant to apologize to the complainant.
  • Require another administrative body or organization to change a decision about the subject matter of the complaint (e.g. alter the decision of an insurance company regarding benefits or the decision of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board).
  • Require an employer to discipline a registrant.
What happens if I am unhappy with the ICRC's decision?

You and the registrant have the right to have the ICRC's decision regarding a complaint reviewed by the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (HPARB) if either party is dissatisfied with the decision. HPARB is an independent board appointed by the Ontario government and reviews decisions made by the College. The College is not a part of HPARB and does not engage in the process. However, the College will provide HPARB with a record of information collected during the investigation into your complaint.

Processus De Plaintes

Si vous aimeriez plus d'information sur la version en format accessible, veuillez communiquer directement avec l'Ordre.

Si vous-même ou une personne que vous connaissez avez des préoccupations au sujet de la pratique ou du comportement d'un audiologiste ou d'un orthophoniste inscrit à l'OAOO, vous avez le droit de porter plainte auprès de l'OAOO. La plainte peut être enregistrée ou faite par écrit.

Pour déposer une plainte, veuillez l'adresser à :

Par la poste :

Ordre des audiologistes et des orthophonistes de l'Ontario
175, rue Bloor Est, Nord La Tour 601,
Toronto  ON  M4N 3R8

Par courriel : [email protected]
Par télécopieur : 416-975-8394

L'OAOO s'assure que chaque plainte est traitée de façon sécuritaire et respectueuse.

Programme de prévention des mauvais traitements d'ordre sexuel

Demande de financement de la thérapie et du counseling 

Pour en savoir plus sur le processus de traitement des plaintes de l'OAOO, veuillez consulter les sections ci-dessous.

Vous Déposez Une Plainte

Toute personne a le droit de présenter une plainte à l'OAOO contre un audiologiste ou un orthophoniste inscrit à l'Ordre. Il n'y a pas de limite de temps pour déposer une plainte à l'OAOO.

Vous pouvez parler à la directrice de l'éthique professionnelle ou au registrateur de l'Ordre si : 

  • vous voulez discuter d'une question en particulier et obtenir plus d'information;
  • vous n'êtes pas certain si vous devriez déposer une plainte contre un audiologiste ou un orthophoniste inscrit à l'Ordre. 
    Dans votre plainte, vous pouvez inclure :
  • le nom de l'audiologiste ou de l'orthophoniste en question;
  • les détails entourant les événements et vos préoccupations;
  • les dates et lieux;
  • les noms des témoins;
  • des copies de toute communication pertinente.

La plainte contre l'orthophoniste ou l'audiologiste doit être enregistrée ou faite par écrit. Nous pouvons vous aider si vous avez besoin d'aide à cet égard.

Nous Accusons Réception

Sur réception d'une plainte, le personnel de l'Ordre vous répond par écrit dans les 14 jours.

Vous Pouvez Opter Pour Un Réglement À L’amiable
(appelé « règlement extrajudiciaire des différends »)

Le cas échéant, les plaintes peuvent être réglées dans le cadre de notre processus volontaire et confidentiel de règlement à l'amiable qui est une solution de rechange au processus de plainte formel.

En savoir plus sur le processus de règlement à l'amiable.

Pour plus d’information sur le processus de règlement à l’amiable, veuillez communiquer directement avec l’Ordre.

Nous Menons Une Enquête
  • L'audiologiste ou l'orthophoniste concerné est informé de la plainte dans les 14 jours et a 30 jours pour présenter des observations en réponse à la plainte.  
  • L'Ordre pourrait vous demander des renseignements supplémentaires et vos commentaires.
  • L'Ordre a un comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports (CEPR) dont le rôle est d'examiner les plaintes.
  • Le CEPR a deux sous-comités, un pour les plaintes visant les audiologistes et un pour les plaintes visant les orthophonistes.
  • Chaque sous-comité doit se composer de membres de la profession et de membres du public. 
  • Le sous-comité peut demander une enquête. L'enquête peut comprendre l'examen de dossiers de patients et l'interrogation de personnes ou de témoins.
  • Le sous-comité peut également demander l'opinion d'un expert. 
  • Le sous-comité examinera toute l'information et prendra une décision. 
Nous Rendons Notre Décision

Le sous-comité peut prendre une ou une combinaison des décisions suivantes à l'endroit de l'audiologiste ou de l'orthophoniste visé :

  • La plainte peut être renvoyée au comité de discipline de l'OAOO. 
  • S'il semble être « frappé d'incapacité », l'audiologiste ou orthophoniste peut être adressé à un autre comité du CEPR en vue d'une nouvelle enquête. « Frappé d'incapacité » se dit d'un audiologiste ou orthophoniste atteint d'un trouble physique ou de santé mentale qui l'empêche d'exercer sa profession de façon sécuritaire. 
  • On peut exiger que l'audiologiste ou orthophoniste inscrit se présente devant un sous-comité pour recevoir un avertissement.
  • L'audiologiste ou l'orthophoniste doit suivre un programme d'éducation permanente ou de recyclage précisé (PEPRP). Ce programme l'aide à améliorer un aspect de sa pratique.
  • Le sous-comité peut aussi décider qu'aucune autre mesure n'est nécessaire.

Le sous-comité n'a pas le pouvoir d'exiger que des sommes d'argent ou un remboursement vous soient versés.

Le sous-comité vous informe ainsi que l'audiologiste ou orthophoniste visé, par écrit, de sa décision et des justifications.

Faire appel de la décision

Le plaignant ou l'audiologiste ou orthophoniste, s'il n'est pas d'accord avec la décision, peut demander que la décision soit examinée par la Commission d'appel et de révision des professions de la santé.

Cette commission ne fait pas partie de l'Ordre. À noter : Les termes « membre » et « membre inscrit » (« registrant » en anglais) sont utilisés de façon interchangeable dans les documents et le site Web de l'OAOO. Les deux termes désignent « membre » tel qu'il est défini dans la Loi de 1991 sur les professions de la santé réglementées, la Loi de 1991 sur les audiologistes et les orthophonistes et les règlements pris en application de ces lois.



Qui peut déposer une plainte auprès de l'Ordre?

Tout le monde peut déposer une plainte contre un audiologiste ou un orthophoniste (aussi appelés « membres inscrits » ou « membres » de l'Ordre). Cela comprend les patients, la famille, les amis, les proches aidants, les collègues, le public, les employeurs, les compagnies d'assurance et d'autres professionnels de la santé. L'Ordre étudie toutes les plaintes, peu importe de qui elles proviennent.

Quels types de plaintes peuvent être examinés par l'Ordre?

Beaucoup de plaintes sont examinées. En voici des exemples :

• problèmes de communication;
• honoraires et facturation;
• normes de soins;
• pertinence des services;
• supervision du personnel de soutien comme les assistants en troubles de communication et les stagiaires;
• publicité;
• limites dans les relations et mauvais traitements d'ordre sexuel;
• confidentialité;
• divulgation de renseignements.

L'Ordre a le devoir de protéger l'intérêt du public. L'Ordre doit s'assurer que ses membres inscrits exercent leur profession en se conformant à un cadre légal et réglementaire qui régit les exigences de l'Ordre. Si vous préférez d'abord vérifier si votre plainte est recevable, vous pouvez communiquer avec l'Ordre pour obtenir plus de renseignements.

Comment puis-je porter plainte?

Vous pouvez déposer une plainte auprès de l'Ordre par écrit ou à l'aide d'un enregistrement audio ou vidéo. Vous pouvez transmettre votre plainte par la poste, par télécopie ou par courriel.

Puis-je déposer une plainte par téléphone?

L'Ordre ne peut accepter de plaintes par téléphone. Cependant, les plaintes déposées par écrit, par enregistrement ou par courrier sont acceptées. Veuillez vous reporter à la question 3.

Puis-je déposer une plainte sans donner mon nom?

Non. Si vous avez l'intention de porter plainte, vous devez vous identifier pour que la plainte puisse être traitée.

Puis-je déposer une plainte contre l'employeur d'un membre inscrit?

Non. L'Ordre établit la réglementation qui régit la pratique des membres inscrits et non de l'endroit où ils exercent leur profession. Toutefois, si l'employeur est un membre inscrit, l'Ordre pourrait être en mesure d'examiner sa pratique.

Puis-je déposer une plainte contre une personne qui fournit des services d'audiologie ou d'orthophonie, mais qui n'est pas membre de l'Ordre?

L'Ordre examinera si vos préoccupations concernent des services fournis sous la supervision d'un membre inscrit, comme les services offerts par un assistant en troubles de communication supervisé par un membre inscrit. De tels services relèvent de la responsabilité du membre chargé de la supervision. L'examen mené par l'Ordre portera alors sur le membre inscrit et non sur l'assistant qui a fourni les services.

Y a-t-il un délai à respecter pour déposer une plainte?

Non. Cependant, nous vous conseillons de déposer votre plainte le plus tôt possible après l'événement sur lequel repose la plainte. Plus le temps passe et plus il peut s'avérer difficile de se souvenir de ce qui s'est passé; cela rendrait la tâche plus difficile au moment de fournir des détails précis. De cette façon, l'Ordre peut aussi s'occuper de tout problème pouvant présenter un risque pour d'autres patients.

Qu'arrive-t-il après avoir déposé une plainte?

• Vous pouvez vous rendre sur le site Web de l'Ordre pour obtenir plus d'information sur le processus de plainte de l'Ordre des audiologistes et des orthophonistes de l'Ontario (OAOO), ce qui inclut la façon dont une plainte peut être réglée grâce à un processus de règlement informel connu sous le nom de règlement à l'amiable.
• Le personnel de l'Ordre est toujours disponible pour répondre à toutes vos questions au cours du processus de plainte.

Puis-je assister à la réunion du comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports?

Non. Cette réunion n'est pas accessible au public. Le comité ne vous rencontrera pas et ne rencontrera pas le membre. Le comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports examine tous les renseignements reçus dans des dossiers en format papier ou électronique. Le personnel vous avisera de la décision rendue par le comité.

Puis-je retirer une plainte?

Vous pouvez en tout temps transmettre une demande par écrit pour retirer votre plainte. Cependant, si les questions soulevées dans votre plainte sont sérieuses et susceptibles de représenter un risque pour le public, l'Ordre peut décider de poursuivre l'enquête concernant la plainte même si vous ne participez plus au processus.

Puis-je me servir de la décision du comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports dans le cadre d'une procédure judiciaire?

Non. La section 36 (3) de la Loi de 1991 sur les professions de la santé réglementées ne permet pas que l'information découlant d'une procédure d'un ordre professionnel soit utilisée dans un tribunal civil.

Qu'arrive-t-il si je décide de ne pas participer au processus de traitement de la plainte?

Vous n'avez pas l'obligation de participer à l'enquête menée par l'Ordre. Après le dépôt de votre plainte, l'Ordre mènera une enquête complète au sujet de la plainte et vous fournira une copie de la décision du comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports. Si vous faites rapport, votre participation se limitera à prendre part à un entretien mené par l'enquêteur si l'Ordre décide de faire enquête en se basant sur vos préoccupations.

Puis-je obtenir le règlement d'une plainte sans avoir recours au processus de traitement des plaintes?

Dans certains cas, l'Ordre peut être en mesure de vous proposer un moyen de régler votre plainte sans passer par le processus de traitement des plaintes. Cela est possible grâce au processus de règlement à l'amiable de l'Ordre dans le cadre duquel un médiateur travaille avec vous et le membre inscrit afin de trouver des solutions qui conviennent aux deux parties. Le processus de règlement à l'amiable est confidentiel et si l'on parvient à une entente approuvée par l'Ordre, la question est considérée comme réglée.
Pour obtenir plus d'information, veuillez consulter la page sur le règlement à l'amiable de l'Ordre des audiologistes et des orthophonistes de l'Ontario (OAOO). Vous pouvez aussi communiquer avec l'Ordre pour obtenir d'autres renseignements sur ce processus.

15. Que se passe-t-il si l'Ordre ne peut pas faire enquête au sujet de la plainte?

L'Ordre tentera de vous acheminer vers un autre organisme de réglementation qui pourra peut-être vous aider.

L'enquête entourant une plainte est-elle rendue publique?

Non. L'Ordre a le devoir strict d'assurer la confidentialité et ne partagera aucune information relative à la plainte, ce qui inclut votre nom et celui du membre inscrit, sauf avec le comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports. Toutefois, la question pourrait devenir publique si elle est renvoyée au comité de discipline. Dans un tel cas, le comité de discipline pourra interdire de publier tout renseignement pouvant permettre de vous identifier.

L'Ordre a l'obligation d'afficher certains renseignements relatifs au membre inscrit dans le tableau public, en fonction de la décision rendue par le comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports. Cela peut comprendre ce qui suit :

• engagement pris;
• un avertissement verbal;
• une formation complémentaire;
• le renvoi de toute allégation particulière au comité de discipline;
• l'issue d'une procédure disciplinaire;
• l'issue d'une procédure du comité d'aptitude professionnelle;
• l'information sur toute accusation ou condamnation criminelle du membre inscrit;
• l'information sur une ordonnance provisoire en vigueur.

Quels types de décisions peuvent être rendus par le comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports au sujet d'une plainte?

L'audiologiste ou l'orthophoniste pourrait :

• recevoir des conseils ou des rappels au sujet de ses obligations professionnelles;
• devoir se présenter devant un sous-comité pour recevoir un avertissement verbal;
• devoir effectuer une formation complémentaire pour s'améliorer dans un champ de pratique;
• être renvoyé au comité de discipline de l'Ordre;
• être renvoyé à un sous-comité du comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports pour un examen approfondi s'il apparaît qu'il est frappé d'incapacité. « Frappé d'incapacité » se dit d'un membre

atteint d'une affection physique ou mentale qui interfère avec sa capacité de pratiquer en toute sécurité.
Le comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports peut aussi décider qu'aucune autre mesure ne doit être prise contre l'audiologiste ou l'orthophoniste.

Quels types de décisions ne peuvent pas être rendus au sujet de la plainte?

• Accorder une compensation financière au plaignant ou exiger que le membre rembourse les frais.
• Exiger que le membre s'excuse auprès du plaignant.
• Exiger qu'une autre entité administrative ou qu'un autre organisme change une décision relative à l'objet de la plainte (p. ex. modifier la décision d'une compagnie d'assurance concernant les prestations ou la décision de la Commission de la sécurité professionnelle et de l'assurance contre les accidents du travail).
• Exiger qu'un employeur prenne des mesures disciplinaires à l'égard d'un membre.

Qu'arrive-t-il si je ne suis pas satisfait de la décision du comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports?

Le membre et vous avez le droit de demander que la décision du comité des enquêtes, des plaintes et des rapports soit examinée par la Commission d'appel et de révision des professions de la santé si l'une des parties n'est pas satisfaite de la décision. La Commission est un conseil indépendant nommé par le gouvernement de l'Ontario et elle examine les décisions rendues par l'Ordre. L'Ordre ne fait pas partie de la Commission et ne participe pas au processus. Cependant, l'Ordre fournira à la Commission les éléments d'information recueillis pendant l'enquête relative à votre plainte.


© 2024 CASLPO

© 2024 CASLPO

This website is intended to provide information to the public and registrants. Should there be difference in documentation previously distributed to CASLPO registrants, it is up to the registrant to source the latest version posted on the CASLPO website. Note: the term "member" and "registrant" are used interchangeably throughout CASLPO's website and documents. Both terms are synonymous with "member" as defined in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, the Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Act, 1991, and the Regulations under those Acts.